(You’ll have to excuse the pics – my camera was acting up yesterday…pics turned out less crisp and sharp)
Basically, this is your basic sweet potato fry made mini and SPICY. You can eat them with your hands, a fork, chop sticks- you can’t go wrong. You also can’t go wrong in making this recipe. I tend to be pretty lax in amounts of ingredients, so this is an approximation. This recipe would serve 2-4 people depending on their love of fries. You will need:
– Approximately 4 small/medium sweet potatoes (really any variety will do)
– 2 tsp olive oil
– Cajun Seasoning mix
1/2 tsp cayenne (more or less, trust me it goes FAR)
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tspgarlic powder
fresh cracked black pepper
*note– you can use just plain salt, fresh herbs, dred herbs, some balsamic vinegar..basically whatever you have or whatever suits your tastes.
A. It would also help to have a mandolin or something that juliennes veggies to save time. I was in a masochistic mood, myself, and decided to cut up each fry by hand. Don’t ask me why I do these things, I’m just nutty sometimes.
B. You will see I was using my small convection oven with the fries on merely a rack lined with foil. Ideally, you would use a larger cookie sheet in a larger oven. You will want the fries to be as spread out as possible. My large oven is out of commission, so I just made do.
1. Pre-heat oven to 450, line a cookie sheet with foil and grease well
2. Cut up sweet potatoes using whatever method you wish (knife, mandolin, food processor)
3. Place mini fries into a large mixing bowl and add 2 tsp of olive oil and spices. I put on some gloves and just mixed it all by hand…making sure each fry is as coated as possible
4. Sprinkle fries over cookie sheet, try and make sure they are nice and spread out
5. Place cookie sheet on low rack in oven (make sure oven is already hot when you place the fries inside). These little guys cook FAST. Seriously. It will seem like nothing is happening and you turn around to sneeze and they are all burnt…well, that may be an exaggeration, but still, you will have to keep an eye on them
6. Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes. Depending on your oven it may be slightly more or less, and you will want to flip them around halfway through. Also, bake time depends on whether you like your fries more soft and tender or more crispy and burnt
7. Enjoy! Don’t eat them straight out of the oven- they do get better after cooling a bit and you WILL burn your tongue…I’m just sayin’…
Chop, Chop, Chop
Chop, Chop, Chop